Phytonutrients is a word carrying great nutritional value. One of such value is antioxidants. If you say that something has antioxidants in it, then it must be good right?
You might ask: what are these anyway?
Another name for these are Phytochemicals, they are easy to understand. The combination of “Phyto + Chemicals” refers to chemicals compounds or nutrients found in plant material. Nutrient in legumes, fruits, nuts, vegetables and whole grains can all be classed as phytochemicals.
Also, the term can be used to describe chemicals which may affect health, but are not yet accepted as essential. It is true that there are thousands (if not millions) of researches conducted that proves that you should consume a diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. Nevertheless, there has been no proven study when it comes to the benefits of certain phytochemicals.
It doesn’t matter if you are a vegetarian or not, consuming lots of nutrient-rich plant food is going to keep your body functioning properly through old age.
Benefits of Phytonutrients
To consider the benefits of Phytonutrients, one has to consider the benefits of a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetable as a whole.
- Aids in the Prevention of cancer: You have must have heard me say this about a dozen times on the site but this is only because it’s 100% true. Consuming a diet high in fruit and vegetables is guaranteed to lower your risk of cancer.
- Increase energy and Pushes You:The phytochemicals found in plants can and will enhance different bodily functions like digestion, thus freeing up more energy for you to use in enjoying your life.
- Slow down the aging process: Studies conducted has revealed the power phytochemicals wield when it comes to protecting the body from aging. Different chemicals in plants strengthen the body’s immune system and increase its resistance to all kinds of disease. The quickest and surest way to looking way younger for longer is eating more plant based food.
- Bounce out of bed in the mornings:Each time you eat more fruits and vegetables, your body system will be getting pumped with the essential nutrient resources it needs. This will allow you to enjoy a deeper sleep and wake up feeling more rested.
- Get more done: As humans, we work with emotions. Once you’re feeling good, you become naturally energized to get more done.
- Enjoy life to the Fullest:I’m certain your doctor must have said a thing or two about this. When you increase your intake of fruits and vegetables, you almost always end up feeling better about life as a hole. Make eating healthy an habit and you’ll notice a massive enhancement in your life.
Lastly, the benefits to healthy eating are too many too mention.
The Downside of the Western Diet
We live in an age where people have trained themselves to conveniently consume processed foods (modern foods) as a major part of our diet. Processed foods include pastas, white bread, white rice, packaged foods, and so on. Even cooking counts as processing!(Shocking right?).
I’ve got bad news for you. Our modern cooking methods and processing destroys and removes important nutrients that your body needs. That’s right-cooking destroys valuable phytonutrients. That is why many health enthusiasts who are health conscious eat a raw food diet.
The vast majority of food in today’s supermarkets are known as processed foods and are most likely to contain far fewer nutrients than fresh fruits and vegetables. For this reason, it is very important to your health that you find easy ways to consume fresh produce.
Juicing is one of such natural ways. It’s not the most effective or single way, but if you’re still struggling to supply your body with phytochemicals, a big fresh green juice first thing in the morning is an assured solution.